Aqara are one of many first corporations to start the rollout of the brand new Matter royalty-free residence automation normal.
Matter is a brand new connectivity normal for IoT gadgets to allow all kinds of sensible residence equipment to work collectively throughout manufacturers and ecosystems. By way of an M2 hub with this new firmware, the Aqara Zigbee gadgets will be capable to hook up with the Matter-ready, third-party apps over Wi-Fi. However this firmware will not replace the Zigbee gadgets to assist Thread.
At first, it should solely be the Aqara M2 Hub that can obtain the replace and the rollout seems to be incremental. While you log in to the app, you may be given the choice to improve to the firmware model 4.0.0 (beta). Once I tried, it was solely V3.5 that’s out there.
It is estimated to take 4-6 weeks for all of the M2 hubs to obtain the firmware replace. Different Aqara hubs, together with the Hub M1S/M1S Gen 2, Hub E1, Digicam Hub G3 and Digicam Hub G2H Professional will obtain related firmware updates within the following months.
Aqara has offered a information to verify the improve goes as easily as attainable:
Customers are strongly urged to verify the necessities rigorously earlier than continuing:
- Please make sure the Aqara Dwelling app is up-to-date (model 3.0.8 or increased), and related to one of many world servers exterior Mainland China;
- Please bind at the very least 1 Zigbee gadget to the M2 hub earlier than binding the M2 to any third-party platforms by way of Matter;
- Please make sure the M2 hub, the Matter controller gadgets (e.g. HomePod mini, Nest Hubs, and so on.) and the cell phone with Matter-ready app are on the identical native community (similar SSID);
- If customers intend to bind the M2 hub to Apple Dwelling by way of Matter, please make sure the firmware model of Apple gadgets (e.g. iPhone, HomePod mini) is up-to-date (model 16.3 or increased).
Please additionally word that binding present gadgets to Matter will not require customers to reset every thing. Customers can maintain utilizing HomeKit (prompt), and join Aqara gadgets to different system(s) by way of Matter.
Matter is a brand new normal, and Aqara is aware of that the Matter experiences of Aqara gadgets nonetheless has numerous limitations.
- At this stage, we have now 40+ Aqara gadgets which might be in a position to join with Matter by way of the M2 hub (please seek advice from this list). And solely the worldwide variations of those gadgets are assured to get Matter assist, because the Chinese language variations of a few of the gadgets might not be supported for the time being.
- In case of connecting the gadgets to Apple Dwelling by way of Matter, please word that it is vitally delicate to the Wi-Fi router high quality and sign. If the sign isn’t robust sufficient, it should typically present “No response”.
- So as to add the gadgets to Google Dwelling by way of Matter, customers have to have one in all Google Dwelling or Nest gadgets as a Matter controller (please seek advice from this blog). Additionally, customers have to have an Android telephone for the Matter-ready Google Dwelling app, as Google Dwelling on iOS gadgets doesn’t assist Matter but.
- Amazon Alexa and Samsung SmartThings don’t assist Matter Bridge (corresponding to Hub M2) gadget kind but, and can’t join the Zigbee gadgets which might be related to the M2 by way of Matter for the time being.
- The brand new firmware is a BETA model, and it might has some bugs which can trigger sudden influence in some instances. If occurs, please attempt to unbind from Matter and re-add the hub to Matter app.